Saturday, May 31, 2008

Auburn Lake Road Race-Short Version

Don't worry there is no long version.  First, this is the first time I've done this race and haven't gotten soaked!  I liked that.  It rained the whole way up and with 45 minutes to go it was 50 degrees and pouring.  But it stopped, so I raced.  We did 5 laps, 57 miles, in a combined field of 35's and 45's.  There were a couple of breaks, they all got caught but the last which was Tom Officer off the front by 20 seconds for the last 4 miles.  Joe Rano, another rider, and I led the pack up the first half of the finishing climb.  Rano and the other guy pulled off, I kept the lead for the second steep section.  Then I backed it down to tempo and waited for the surge, hopped in, and got 8th.  Kevin, who did more work than me during the race, got 15th.  All in all, I was very happy.  9 pts of the 25 I need for Cat 2 upgrade.  I might make it.

No comments: